In April 1585 John White sailed on an expedition that planted a settlement on Roanoke Island. He executed many paintings and sketches of the region. The colony was abandoned in 1586, and he returned to England. In 1587 he sailed as governor of a second colony that Sir Walter Raleigh attempted to found in North America. The colony was established on Roanoke Island that July.
- Name: John White
- Birth Year: 1540
- Birth Country: England
- Gender: Male
- Best Known For: John White was an English artist, explorer, cartographer and governor of the settlement on Roanoke Island.
- U.S. Politics
- Death Year: 1593
- Death City: Kylemore
- Death Country: Ireland
We strive for accuracy and fairness.If you see something that doesn't look right,contact us!
- Article Title: John White Biography
- Author: Biography.com Editors
- Website Name: The Biography.com website
- Url: https://www.biography.com/history-culture/john-white
- Access Date:
- Publisher: A&E; Television Networks
- Last Updated: May 13, 2020
- Original Published Date: April 2, 2014