Famed author Zadie Smith was born in London, England, on October 25, 1975. At age 21, Smith submitted some 80 pages of what would become White Teeth to an agent, and the book was published in a few years later to rave reviews, winning numerous awards, including the Whitbread First Novel Award. It was also a finalist for the National Book Critics Circle Award. Smith's third novel, On Beauty, was a finalist for the Man Booker Prize and won the 2006 Orange Prize for fiction.
Smith's fifth book, Swing Time, was a finalist for the National Book Critics Circle Award for Fiction and was longlisted for the Man Booker Prize in 2017. In 2018, her sixth book, Feel Free, won the National Book Critics Circle Award for Criticism.
In March 2022, Smith was awarded the PEN/Audible Literary Service Award previously given to Toni Morrison, Stephen Sondheim and Margaret Atwood. She is the youngest recipient ever to receive the prize.
- Name: Zadie Smith
- Birth Year: 1975
- Birth date: October 25, 1975
- Birth City: London
- Birth Country: England
- Gender: Female
- Best Known For: Zadie Smith is a novelist whose first book, 'White Teeth,' was a sensation, instantly putting her on the literary map.
- Fiction and Poetry
- Journalism and Nonfiction
- Writing and Publishing
- Astrological Sign: Scorpio
- University of Cambridge
We strive for accuracy and fairness.If you see something that doesn't look right,contact us!
- Article Title: Zadie Smith Biography
- Author: Biography.com Editors
- Website Name: The Biography.com website
- Url: https://www.biography.com/authors-writers/zadie-smith
- Access Date:
- Publisher: A&E; Television Networks
- Last Updated: September 9, 2022
- Original Published Date: April 2, 2014