Jan van Eyck was born circa 1395. In 1425, he was employed under the service of Duke Philip, the Good of Burgundy. In 1432, van Eyck painted "Adoration of the Lamb," the altarpiece for the Church of St. Bavon, Ghent. In 1434, he created another masterpiece, "Arnolfini Wedding." Throughout his career, van Eyck used oil painting in his portraits and panel paintings. He died on July 9, 1441 in Bruges, Netherlands.
- Name: Jan van Eyck
- Birth Year: 1395
- Birth City: Maaseik, Bishopric of Liege, Holy Roman Empire
- Gender: Male
- Best Known For: One of the earliest Flemish oil painters, artist and portraitist Jan van Eyck, painted the "Adoration of the Lamb," the altarpiece for the Church of St. Bavon.
- Death Year: 1441
- Death date: July 9, 1441
- Death City: Bruges
- Death Country: Netherlands
We strive for accuracy and fairness.If you see something that doesn't look right,contact us!
- Article Title: Jan van Eyck Biography
- Author: Biography.com Editors
- Website Name: The Biography.com website
- Url: https://www.biography.com/artists/jan-van-eyck
- Access Date:
- Publisher: A&E; Television Networks
- Last Updated: April 13, 2019
- Original Published Date: April 2, 2014