Who Was Diahann Carroll?
Diahann Carroll made a number of films during her career and was nominated for an Academy Award for Claudine in 1974. It wasn't until she was cast as the lead in Julia in 1968, however, that Carroll became a bona fide celebrity. The role made her the first African-American woman to star in her own TV series. She was nominated for an Emmy for Julia in 1969 and won the Golden Globe Award in 1968.
Early Life and Career
Actress and singer Carol Diahann Johnson was born on July 17, 1935, in The Bronx, New York. She attended Manhattan's School of Performing Arts and worked as a nightclub singer and model before making her Broadway debut in The House of Flowers in 1954. That year, she also made her film debut alongside Dorothy Dandridge in Carmen Jones.
Carroll made a number of films during her career and was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actress for her work in Claudine in 1974. She starred in No Strings (1962) and also appeared in I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (1979). It wasn't until she was cast as the lead in Julia in 1968, however, that Carroll became a bona fide celebrity. The role made her the first African-American woman to star in her own television series. She was nominated for an Emmy Award for Julia in 1969 and won the Golden Globe Award in 1968.
Carroll was also well known for her role as jet setter Dominique Deveraux on Dynasty from the 1980s. She received her third Emmy nomination in 1989 for her role on A Different World. Most recently, Carroll has made recurring guest appearances on the hit dramedy Grey's Anatomy.
Carroll passed away on October 4, 2019, in Los Angeles, California after a long battle against cancer.
Carroll has been married four times, including a relationship with singer Vic Damone.
- Name: Diahann Carroll
- Birth Year: 1935
- Birth date: July 17, 1935
- Birth State: New York
- Birth City: New York
- Birth Country: United States
- Gender: Female
- Best Known For: Diahann Carroll was an actress of stage, screen and TV known for her show 'Julia' and films such as 'I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.'
- Theater and Dance
- Astrological Sign: Cancer
- School of Performing Arts
- Interesting Facts
- Diahann Carroll was the first African American actress to star in her own sitcom where she did not play a domestic worker. In 1968, she won a Golden Globe Award for her role on Julia.
- Death Year: 2019
- Death date: October 4, 2019
- Death State: California
- Death City: Los Angeles
- Death Country: United States
We strive for accuracy and fairness.If you see something that doesn't look right,contact us!
- Article Title: Diahann Carroll Biography
- Author: Biography.com Editors
- Website Name: The Biography.com website
- Url: https://www.biography.com/actor/diahann-carroll
- Access Date:
- Publisher: A&E; Television Networks
- Last Updated: April 13, 2021
- Original Published Date: April 2, 2014