Born in Palestine sometime in the 1st century, Saint Matthew was one of Jesus's 12 apostles and also one of the four Evangelists, according to the Bible. Matthew authored the first Gospel of the Bible's New Testament, now known as the Gospel of Matthew. Prior to preaching the word of God, he worked as a tax collector in Capernaum. Matthew is the patron saint of tax collectors and accountants. The Feast of St. Matthew is annually celebrated on September 21.
- Name: Matthew
- Birth City: Palestine
- Gender: Male
- Best Known For: According to the Bible, Saint Matthew was one of Jesus's 12 apostles and the first author of the New Testament.
We strive for accuracy and fairness.If you see something that doesn't look right,contact us!
- Article Title: Saint Matthew Biography
- Author: Biography.com Editors
- Website Name: The Biography.com website
- Url: https://www.biography.com/religious-figures/saint-matthew
- Access Date:
- Publisher: A&E; Television Networks
- Last Updated: April 22, 2021
- Original Published Date: April 2, 2014