Born in the late 1st century (circa 5 B.C.), Saint John the Baptist was a Jewish prophet who preached the imminence of God's final judgment. It is believed that he was born somewhere in Judea, located near Jerusalem, Israel, according to the New Testament. A priest of the order of Abijah, John the Baptist gained recognition as a prophet, had several disciples and baptized a number of people, including Jesus Christ, according to scripture. Christians believe that John the Baptist was the last great prophet before Jesus Christ came to earth. He was reportedly beheaded circa 30 A.D.
- Name: John the Baptist
- Birth Year: 5
- Birth City: Judea
- Birth Country: Israel
- Gender: Male
- Best Known For: Saint John the Baptist was a Jewish prophet who preached the imminence of God's final judgment, had several disciples and baptized a number of people.
- Death Year: 30
- Death Country: Israel
We strive for accuracy and fairness.If you see something that doesn't look right,contact us!
- Article Title: Saint John the Baptist Biography
- Author: Biography.com Editors
- Website Name: The Biography.com website
- Url: https://www.biography.com/religious-figures/saint-john-the-baptist
- Access Date:
- Publisher: A&E; Television Networks
- Last Updated: April 22, 2021
- Original Published Date: April 2, 2014