Saint Bernadette of Lourdes was a saint born on January 7, 1844, in Lourdes, France. She received several visions from the Virgin Mary starting in 1858. When she reported these visions, civil authorities attempted to force her to recant her accounts. She refused, and word spread about the cave she had found with supposed miracle healing springs. Napolean III’s wife helped her achieve her vision to build a church at the cave. Lourdes emerged as a pilgrimage site for worshippers from around the world. She died on April 16, 1879, and was canonized as a saint in 1933 by Pope Pius XI.
- Name: Bernadette of Lourdes
- Birth Year: 1844
- Birth date: January 7, 1844
- Birth City: Lourdes
- Birth Country: France
- Gender: Female
- Best Known For: Saint Bernadette of Lourdes was best known as a saint who received visions from the Virgin Mary in a cave near Lourdes. Pope Pius XI canonized her as a saint in 1933.
- Astrological Sign: Capricorn
- Death Year: 1879
- Death date: April 16, 1879
- Death City: Nevers
- Death Country: France
We strive for accuracy and fairness.If you see something that doesn't look right,contact us!
- Article Title: Saint Bernadette of Lourdes Biography
- Author: Biography.com Editors
- Website Name: The Biography.com website
- Url: https://www.biography.com/religious-figures/saint-bernadette-of-lourdes
- Access Date:
- Publisher: A&E; Television Networks
- Last Updated: April 17, 2019
- Original Published Date: April 2, 2014