Lorenzo de’ Medici ruled Florence with his brother Giuliano from 1469 to 1478. After the latter's assassination, the crowd stood by the Medici and tore the assassins limb from limb. Lorenzo was considered the Wise, “the needle on the Italian scales,” and ruled from 1478 to 1492. Lorenzo’s patronage of the arts was renowned, and those under his protection included Botticelli and Leonardo da Vinci.
- Name: Lorenzo de' Medici
- Birth Year: 1449
- Birth date: January 1, 1449
- Birth City: Florence
- Birth Country: Italy
- Gender: Male
- Best Known For: Lorenzo de' Medici was Florentine statesman, ruler and patron of arts and letters, the most brilliant of the Medici.
- Politics and Government
- Astrological Sign: Capricorn
- Death Year: 1492
- Death date: April 9, 1492
- Death City: Careggi
- Death Country: Italy
We strive for accuracy and fairness.If you see something that doesn't look right,contact us!
- Article Title: Lorenzo de' Medici Biography
- Author: Biography.com Editors
- Website Name: The Biography.com website
- Url: https://www.biography.com/political-figures/lorenzo-de-medici
- Access Date:
- Publisher: A&E; Television Networks
- Last Updated: September 2, 2020
- Original Published Date: April 2, 2014