The 7-foot 6-inch Yao Ming was drafted by the Houston Rockets as the first pick in the 2002 NBA draft. That season he was an All-Star and was on the league's All-Rookie team. Yao earned all-star honors in each of the following six seasons and helped the Rockets to playoff appearances in five of those years. Yao soon became the focus of the NBA's efforts to popularize the league around the globe. Yao retired from the NBA in 2011 after eight full seasons due to persistent injuries.
Yao was elected into the Basketball Hall of Fame, alongside Shaquille O'Neal and Allen Iverson In April 2016. He was elected chairman of the Chinese Basketball Association in 2017.
- Name: Yao Ming
- Birth Year: 1980
- Birth date: September 12, 1980
- Birth City: Shanghai
- Birth Country: China
- Gender: Male
- Best Known For: Yao Ming is a Chinese basketball player who became an international star as a center for the Houston Rockets of the NBA.
- Astrological Sign: Virgo
We strive for accuracy and fairness.If you see something that doesn't look right,contact us!
- Article Title: Yao Ming Biography
- Author: Biography.com Editors
- Website Name: The Biography.com website
- Url: https://www.biography.com/athlete/yao-ming
- Access Date:
- Publisher: A&E; Television Networks
- Last Updated: April 5, 2022
- Original Published Date: April 2, 2014