In celebration of Lily Tomlin's SAG Lifetime Achievement Award, which will be awarded to her this Sunday, we've selected some of the comedienne's best quotes.
Lauded as "America's New Queen of Comedy" back in 1977, actress Lily Tomlin was just getting started. Her multi-hyphenate career in Broadway, film, television and beyond has spanned close to 50 years and counting. Known for films like Nashville, 9 to 5, All of Me, Flirting With Disaster and more recently Grandma, as well as her one-woman Broadway shows Appearing Nitely and The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe, Tomlin currently stars on the Emmy-nominated Netflix series Grace and Frankie, opposite Jane Fonda.
Tomlin's accomplishments are wide-ranging; she's won four Emmys, two Tonys, two Peabodys, and even a Grammy for best comedy album. And to add to that, the Screen Actors Guild Awards will be honoring Miss Tomlin this Sunday with a SAG Lifetime Achievement Award.
In celebration of the witty, hilarious, and absurdly unique comedienne, here are some of her best quotes.
1. I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
2. For fast-acting relief try slowing down.
3. The best mind-altering drug is the truth.
4. I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain.
5. Why is it that when we talk to God we're said to be praying but when God talks to us we're schizophrenic?
6. The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.
7. I grew up in a time when women didn't really do comedy. You had to be homely, overweight, an old maid, all that. You had to play a stereotype, because very attractive women were not supposed to be funny - because it's powerful; it's a threat.
8. You are what you think . . .geez, that's frightening . . .
9. Maybe if people started to listen, history would stop repeating itself.
As the newly minted honoree of the American Film Institute's Life Achievement Award, Diane Keaton has had an enduring film career that has spanned close to five decades. We've gathered some fun trivia about some of her most significant roles.