'Dubbed the “Queen of Latin Pop,” seven-time Grammy award winning singer-songwriter Gloria Estefan first became famous as the lead singer in the band Miami Sound Machine alongside her keyboardist and husband, Emilio Estefan. Some of Miami Sound Machine’s biggest hits were “Conga” and “Rhythm Is Gonna Get You”, which topped the charts in the 1980s and 1990s. Having sold over 100 million albums worldwide, Estefan is in the top 100 bestselling music artists of all time according to Billboard magazine. In addition to her enormous success in the music industry, Estefan has also authored two children's picture books, The Magically Mysterious Adventures of Noelle the Bulldog and Noelle’s Treasure Tale: A New Magically Mysterious Adventure. Estefan recently released Soy Mujer, a compilation of her greatest Spanish-language hits, and her life story has made it to Broadway with the musical On Your Feet!, which began previews this week and opens November 5th.
Larry King sat down with the pop sensation to discuss her thoughts on the next generation of Latin musicians and political issues such as immigration. Here are a few things we learned from the interview:
1. One of Estefan's hidden talents is that she’s a great eyebrow plucker. In fact, friends come over to her house just for her plucking expertise.
2. She’s passionate about boating and has captained her own vessel. She’s taken three courses in seamanship, piloting, and navigation.
3. Her guilty pleasure? Making cosmos, a drink that’s she’s perfected, of course.
4. Estefan says there’s no secret to her marriage — only true love for each other.
5. If she weren’t a singer she’d love to be a psychologist or a diplomat. In school she studied psychology, and planned to go to the Sorbonne in France to study international law and become a diplomat.
Watch the clip from Gloria’s interview with Larry King:
To see Gloria’s full length interview with Larry King, head over to Ora TV.