Bio of the Month
BIOGRAPHY®: AMELIA EARHART
- What was Amelia Earhart like as a child? How do you think these traits foreshadow her future career?
- How did Amelia become exposed to flying? How did people in her life react when she expressed an interest in flying?
- What were some of Earhart’s career experiences before she became a pilot? How do you think these experiences shaped her life and future goals?
- How did Amelia’s style of dress and hair cut break social conventions?
- What role did G. P. Putnam play in Earhart’s rise to fame? Do you think she would have had the same success without his help?
- How did the Friendship Flight dramatically change Amelia’s fate?
- Why do you think Earhart decided to try to fly across the Atlantic? What were the risks and rewards at stake?
- What were the conditions of Amelia’s solo transatlantic flight? Were you surprised by any of what you learned about her journey? How did her fellow Americans react to her successful journey?
- What corners did Amelia cut in preparation for her around-the-world flight? How was her physical and mental health leading up to the trip? What were some of the myths and rumors surrounding Earhart’s disappearance?
- Many people have described Amelia Earhart as “unconventional.” Why? How do you think her life might have been different if she had been born 50 years later?
- Imagine you are Amelia Earhart, setting out on the Friendship Flight, your first solo trans-Atlantic flight. Write a 2-3 page travel log detailing the events of the trip and documenting the challenges and triumphs you face along the way. Share these writings with the larger class or group.
- Amelia Earhart was a record-breaking pilot, but she also used her achievements to help publicize the importance of equal rights for women and for the benefits of commercial airline travel. Write a letter to the editor or short newspaper opinion piece on one of these topics, from Earhart’s perspective.
- Earhart achieved many milestones throughout her career as a pilot. From the time she was born in 1897 through her disappearance in 1937, dozens of important world events took place. Create a timeline spanning from 1897 through 1937 with two lines –one line to chart important world events, and the other to chart Earhart’s records and advances in aviation. You may want to narrow down 10 events on each line that you think are most relevant. These timelines can be presented on white roll-out paper, in Powerpoint format, or any other format you chose. (Visit http://teacher.scholastic.com/earhart/timeline/timeline.htm for an example of this kind of timeline and more info about Earhart’s life.)
- You are a reporter covering Earhart’s around-the-world adventure. Write a 1-2 page article detailing Amelia’s planned route, personnel issues, technical difficulties and eventually, her sudden disappearance. Report on the public’s reaction to this devastating news, and address some of the conspiracy theories that arose when Earhart vanished.