- NAME: William O. Douglas
- OCCUPATION: Educator, Lawyer, Judge, Supreme Court Justice, Government Official
- BIRTH DATE: October 16, 1898
- DEATH DATE: January 19, 1980
- EDUCATION: Whitman College, Columbia University Law School
- PLACE OF BIRTH: Maine, Minnesota
- PLACE OF DEATH: Washington, D.C.
- Full Name: William Orville Douglas
Best Known For
William O. Douglas was a government official who in 1939 became the second youngest Supreme Court justice in U.S. history.
Think you know about Biography?
Answer questions and see how you rank against other players.Play Now
While at the SEC, William O. Douglas became a friend and adviser of President Franklin Roosevelt, who later nominated him for the Supreme Court. At 40 years of age, Douglas became the second youngest Supreme Court justice in U.S. history. Known for his defense of civil liberties, Douglas rejected government limitations on free speech, and he was an outspoken defender of an unfettered press.
© 2013 A+E Networks. All rights reserved.
Included In These Groups
Famous Academics 423 people in this group
Famous Teachers 208 people in this group
Famous Libras 538 people in this group
profile name: William O. Douglas profile occupation:
Sign in with Facebook to see how you and your friends are connected to famous icons.