- NAME: Vito Genovese
- OCCUPATION: Organized Crime Boss
- BIRTH DATE: November 27, 1897
- DEATH DATE: February 14, 1969
- Did You Know?: Fleeing to Italy in 1937 to evade a murder rap, Vito Genovese became friends with Italian dictator Benito Mussolini.
- PLACE OF BIRTH: Rosiglino, Italy
- PLACE OF DEATH: Springfield, Missouri
- Full Name: Vito Genovese
- Nickname: Boss of All Bosses
- Nickname: Don Vitone
- Nickname: Don Vito
Best Known For
Vito Genovese was an Italian-born Mafia figure who became the head of the New York-based Genovese crime family.
Think you know about Biography?
Answer questions and see how you rank against other players.Play Now
He slowly re-established his power in New York City, arranging the murders of several key rivals and becoming the newfound "Boss of All Bosses" of the New York area.
The feds finally caught up to Genovese in 1958. The following year, he was convicted on narcotics charges and sentenced to 15 years in federal prison. He continued lording over his empire from behind bars, and his rivals continued to be executed at will.
Bringing an end to a criminal era, Vito Genovese died of a heart attack at the Medical Center for Federal Prisoners in Springfield, Missouri, on Valentine's Day in 1969.
© 2014 A+E Networks. All rights reserved.
profile name: Vito Genovese profile occupation:
Sign in with Facebook to see how you and your friends are connected to famous icons.
Your Friends' Connections
Included In These Groups
Famous Sagittarians 607 people in this group
Famous People Born in 1897 27 people in this group
Famous Italians 145 people in this group