- NAME: Thomas Eakins
- OCCUPATION: Painter, Photographer, Sculptor
- BIRTH DATE: July 25, 1844
- DEATH DATE: June 25, 1916
- EDUCATION: Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, École des Beaux-Arts
- PLACE OF BIRTH: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- PLACE OF DEATH: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Full Name: Thomas Cowperthwait Eakins
Best Known For
Thomas Eakins was a naturalist figure painter, portraitist and sculptor. He is considered one of the most influential artists in U.S. history.
Think you know about Biography?
Answer questions and see how you rank against other players.Play Now
Thomas Eakins was born on July 25, 1844, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Throughout the mid-19th century he studied sculpting in Paris. In 1870, he started teaching at Pennsylvania Academy, but resigned in 1886 when he refused to stop using nude models. Beginning in the 1880s, he used photography to study motion. By his later years, he was considered a major painter. He died on June 25, 1916, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
© 2013 A+E Networks. All rights reserved.
Included In These Groups
Famous Leos 554 people in this group
Famous Painters 162 people in this group
Famous Photographers 59 people in this group
profile name: Thomas Eakins profile occupation:
Sign in with Facebook to see how you and your friends are connected to famous icons.