- NAME: Somerset Maugham
- OCCUPATION: Author, Playwright
- BIRTH DATE: January 25, 1874
- DEATH DATE: December 16, 1965
- EDUCATION: King's School, Canterbury, St. Thomas' Medical School, London
- PLACE OF BIRTH: Paris, France
- PLACE OF DEATH: Nice, France
- Full Name: William Somerset Maugham
- AKA: Somerset Maugham
Best Known For
Somerset Maugham was a British fiction writer, essayist and playwright known for works like Of Human Bondage and The Razor's Edge.
Think you know about Biography?
Answer questions and see how you rank against other players.Play Now
Born on January 25, 1874, in Paris, France, Somerset Maugham studied medicine for a time before turning to writing, eventually releasing well-known works like Of Human Bondage, Cakes and Ale and The Razor's Edge. A successful London playwright as well as an essayist and short-story writer, Maugham also faced critiques for his cynicism and harsh portrayals. He died on December 16, 1965.
© 2014 A+E Networks. All rights reserved.
Included In These Groups
Famous Aquarians 598 people in this group
Famous People Named William 92 people in this group
Famous Playwrights 138 people in this group
profile name: Somerset Maugham profile occupation:
Sign in with Facebook to see how you and your friends are connected to famous icons.