- NAME: Oliver Wendell Holmes
- OCCUPATION: Educator, Doctor, Physiologist, Author, Poet
- BIRTH DATE: August 29, 1809
- DEATH DATE: October 07, 1894
- EDUCATION: Harvard University
- PLACE OF BIRTH: Cambridge, Massachusetts
- PLACE OF DEATH: Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Full Name: Oliver Wendell Holmes
- AKA: Oliver Holmes
- AKA: Oliver W. Holmes
- AKA: Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.
Best Known For
Think you know about Biography?
Answer questions and see how you rank against other players.Play Now
Oliver Wendell Holmes was born on August 29, 1809, in Cambridge, Massachusetts. He graduated from Harvard University in 1836 and practiced medicine for the next 10 years. He also taught at Dartmouth College and became dean at Harvard Medical School, but is best known as a poet and humorist. Holmes wrote the poem "Old Ironsides" and the "Breakfast- Table" essay series. He was the father of American Civil War veteran and U.S. Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. Oliver Wendell Holmes died on October 7, 1894.
© 2014 A+E Networks. All rights reserved.
Included In These Groups
Famous Academics 451 people in this group
Famous Teachers 230 people in this group
Famous Virgoans 598 people in this group
profile name: Oliver Wendell Holmes profile occupation:
Sign in with Facebook to see how you and your friends are connected to famous icons.