- NAME: Muriel Spark
- OCCUPATION: Literary Critic, Academic Author, Publisher, Author, Poet
- BIRTH DATE: February 01, 1918
- DEATH DATE: April 13, 2006
- PLACE OF BIRTH: Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
- PLACE OF DEATH: Florence, Italy
- Maiden Name: Muriel Camberg
- Full Name: Muriel Sarah Spark
- AKA: Dame Muriel Sarah Spark
- AKA: Muriel Spark
Best Known For
Dame Muriel Spark was a Scottish novelist, poet and literary critic best known for her 1961 novel The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie.
Think you know about Biography?
Answer questions and see how you rank against other players.Play Now
Another critic for New Criterion wrote that "what first seems like caricature often passes, on closer reading, as unvarnished reportage."
Spark turned her mighty pen on her own life with the 1992 memoir Curriculum Vitae. The following year, she received a special honor from Queen Elizabeth II. She named a Dame of the British Empire. Four years later, Spark won David Cohen Literature Prize for her life's work.
In 2004, Spark published The Finishing School, which proved to be her final novel. She died on April 13, 2006, in Florence, Italy.
© 2014 A+E Networks. All rights reserved.
Included In These Groups
Famous Scottish People 61 people in this group
Famous Aquarians 598 people in this group
Famous Literary Critics 34 people in this group