- NAME: Marjorie Lee Browne
- OCCUPATION: Educator, Mathematician
- BIRTH DATE: September 09, 1914
- DEATH DATE: October 19, 1979
- Did You Know?: In 1949, Marjorie Lee Browne became one of the first two African-American women to earn a Ph.D. in her field.
- Did You Know?: Marjorie Lee Browne set up an electronic digital computer center at North Carolina College, one of the first of its kind at a minority college, in 1960.
- Did You Know?: In 1975, Marjorie Lee Browne was recognized with the first W.W. Rankin Memorial Award for Excellence in Mathematics Education (from the North Carolina Council of Teachers of Mathematics).
- EDUCATION: Cambridge University, University of Michigan
- PLACE OF BIRTH: Memphis, Tennessee
- PLACE OF DEATH: Durham, North Carolina
Best Known For
Marjorie Lee Browne was a prominent mathematician and educator who, in 1949, became one of the first two African-American women to earn a Ph.D. in her field.
Think you know about Biography?
Answer questions and see how you rank against other players.Play Now
Other grants landed her at the University of California at Los Angeles and, later, Columbia University.
In 1975, Browne was recognized with the first W.W. Rankin Memorial Award for Excellence in Mathematics Education, an honor handed out by the North Carolina Council of Teachers of Mathematics.
Over the course of her lifetime, Marjorie Browne served as a member of numerous organizations, including the Women's Research Society; the American Mathematical Society; and the Mathematical Association of America. In addition, Browne was one of the first African-American women to serve as a member of the advisory council to the National Science Foundation.
Browne left North Carolina Central University in 1979. Sadly, however, she got to experience little of her retirement. On October 19 of that year she died of a heart attack at her home in Durham, North Carolina.
© 2013 A+E Networks. All rights reserved.
profile name: Marjorie Lee Browne profile occupation:
Sign in with Facebook to see how you and your friends are connected to famous icons.
Your Friends' Connections
Included In These Groups
Famous Academics 445 people in this group
Famous Teachers 225 people in this group
Famous Virgoans 594 people in this group