- NAME: Joseph L. Mankiewicz
- OCCUPATION: Director, Producer, Screenwriter
- BIRTH DATE: February 11, 1909
- DEATH DATE: February 05, 1993
- EDUCATION: Columbia University
- PLACE OF BIRTH: Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
- PLACE OF DEATH: Mount Kisco, New York
- Full Name: Joseph Leo Mankiewicz
- AKA: Joseph L. Mankiewicz
Best Known For
American producer, director and screenwriter Joseph L. Mankiewicz was known for creating memorable characters. He worked with many major Hollywood stars.
Think you know about Biography?
Answer questions and see how you rank against other players.Play Now
Joseph L. Mankiewicz got his start in Hollywood in 1929, composing subtitles for silent versions of Paramount talkies. In his years at MGM, he produced such classics as The Philadelphia Story In 1943, Mankiewicz moved to Twentieth Century Fox, making his directorial debut with Dragonwyck. At Fox, he directed and wrote the scripts that defined his signature style. He left Fox in 1952 to freelance, and died in 1993 in Mount Kisco, New York.
© 2014 A+E Networks. All rights reserved.
Included In These Groups
Best Director Oscar Winners 49 people in this group
Best Screenplay Oscar Winners 34 people in this group
Famous Aquarians 598 people in this group
profile name: Joseph L. Mankiewicz profile occupation:
Sign in with Facebook to see how you and your friends are connected to famous icons.