- NAME: James C. Maxwell
- OCCUPATION: Scholar, Physicist
- BIRTH DATE: June 13, 1831
- DEATH DATE: November 05, 1879
- Did You Know?: Optics innovator James C. Maxwell took the first color photograph in 1861, specifically of a tartan ribbon.
- EDUCATION: University of Edinburgh, University of Cambridge, King's College London, Marischal College, Edinburgh Academy
- PLACE OF BIRTH: Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
- PLACE OF DEATH: Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
- Full Name: James Clerk Maxwell
- AKA: James C. Maxwell
- AKA: James Maxwell
Best Known For
James C. Maxwell was a 19th century pioneer in chemistry and physics who articulated the idea of electromagnetism.
Think you know about Biography?
Answer questions and see how you rank against other players.Play Now
Other publications included Theory of Heat (1871) and Matter and Motion (1877).
James C. Maxwell died in Cambridge, England, on November 5, 1879, from abdominal cancer. His discoveries paved the way for much of the modern world's technological innovations and continued to influence physics well into the next century, with thinkers like Albert Einstein praising him for his indispensable contributions. Maxwell's original house, now a museum, is the site of the James Clerk Maxwell Foundation.
© 2014 A+E Networks. All rights reserved.
profile name: James C. Maxwell profile occupation:
Sign in with Facebook to see how you and your friends are connected to famous icons.
Your Friends' Connections
Included In These Groups
Famous Scottish People 61 people in this group
Famous Academics 451 people in this group
Famous Geminis 556 people in this group