- NAME: James Booker
- OCCUPATION: Songwriter, Pianist
- BIRTH DATE: December 17, 1939
- DEATH DATE: November 08, 1983
- EDUCATION: Xavier University Preparatory School
- PLACE OF BIRTH: New Orleans, Louisiana
- PLACE OF DEATH: New Orleans, Louisiana
- Full Name: James Carroll Booker III
- AKA: James Carroll Booker
- Nickname: "Bayou Maharajah"
- Nickname: "Piano Prince of New Orleans"
Best Known For
James Booker was an African-American musician known for his unique fusion of jazz and rhythm-and-blues, and for songs like "The Sunny Side of the Street," "A Taste of Honey" and "Papa Was a Rascal."
Think you know about Biography?
Answer questions and see how you rank against other players.Play Now
He is still remembered as one of the great jazz and blues musicians of his generation, and his legacy lives on in the work of the musicians he taught, such as Dr. John and Harry Connick Jr.
Booker's discography has increased since his death, thanks to the release of several live recordings, including Resurrection of the Bayou Maharajah and Spiders on the Keys, both originally taped at the Maple Leaf Bar in New Orleans.
© 2013 A+E Networks. All rights reserved.
profile name: James Booker profile occupation:
Sign in with Facebook to see how you and your friends are connected to famous icons.
Your Friends' Connections
Included In These Groups
Famous Sagittarians 569 people in this group
Famous Pianists 104 people in this group
Famous Songwriters and Composers 427 people in this group