- NAME: Jacques Alexandre César Charles
- OCCUPATION: Mathematician, Inventor, Physicist, Academic Author
- BIRTH DATE: November 12, 1746
- DEATH DATE: April 07, 1823
- PLACE OF BIRTH: Beaugency, France
- PLACE OF DEATH: Paris, France
- Full Name: Jacques Alexandre César Charles
- AKA: Jacques Alexandre César
- AKA: Jacques César
Best Known For
Jacques Alexandre César Charles was a French scientist and inventor who, along with Nicholas Robert, was the first to take flight in a hydrogen balloon.
Think you know about Biography?
Answer questions and see how you rank against other players.Play Now
Born on November 12, 1746, in Beaugency, France, Jacques Alexandre César Charles worked in finance before taking up aeronautics. He worked with the Robert brothers to develop the first hydrogen balloon in 1783, also becoming the first to ascend in that mode of transport. Charles was an inventor as well, teaching at the Conservatoire des Arts et Métiers. He died on April 7, 1823, in Paris, France.
© 2013 A+E Networks. All rights reserved.
Included In These Groups
Famous Academics 422 people in this group
Famous Scorpios 506 people in this group
Famous Mathematicians 29 people in this group
profile name: Jacques Alexandre César Charles profile occupation:
Sign in with Facebook to see how you and your friends are connected to famous icons.