- NAME: Hoagy Carmichael
- OCCUPATION: Film Actor, Television Actor, Songwriter, Pianist, Singer
- BIRTH DATE: November 22, 1899
- DEATH DATE: December 27, 1981
- Did You Know?: Hoagy Carmichael won a 1951 Academy Award for best song for "In the Cool, Cool, Cool of the Evening."
- Did You Know?: In 1959-60, Hoagy Carmichael appeared in the television series Laramie.
- EDUCATION: Indiana University, Indiana University School of Law
- PLACE OF BIRTH: Bloomington, Indiana
- PLACE OF DEATH: Rancho Mirage, California
- Full Name: Hoagy Carmichael
- Originally: Hoagland Howard Carmichael
- AKA: Hoagland Carmichael
Best Known For
Hoagy Carmichael was an American songwriter who wrote the standards "Stardust," "Georgia on My Mind," "Rockin' Chair" and "Lazy River."
Think you know about Biography?
Answer questions and see how you rank against other players.Play Now
Carmichael was selected to join the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1971. Divorced from his first wife—Ruth Meinardi, with whom he had two children—in 1955, he married Wanda McKay in 1977. His many popular songs gave him a steady income, so Carmichael was able to relax and play golf as he grew older. He passed away at the age of 82 on December 27, 1981, in Rancho Mirage, California.
© 2014 A+E Networks. All rights reserved.
profile name: Hoagy Carmichael profile occupation:
Sign in with Facebook to see how you and your friends are connected to famous icons.
Your Friends' Connections
Included In These Groups
Best Song Oscar Winners 26 people in this group
Names We Like 23 people in this group
Famous Sagittarians 607 people in this group