- NAME: H.L. Mencken
- OCCUPATION: Literary Critic, Editor, Journalist
- BIRTH DATE: September 12, 1880
- DEATH DATE: January 29, 1956
- EDUCATION: Baltimore Polytechnic
- PLACE OF BIRTH: Baltimore, Maryland
- PLACE OF DEATH: Baltimore, Maryland
- Full Name: Henry Louis Mencken
- AKA: Henry L. Mencken
- AKA: H.L. Mencken
Best Known For
Known for his wit and cynicism, journalist and editor H.L. Mencken was an influential American literary critic.
Think you know about Biography?
Answer questions and see how you rank against other players.Play Now
Arguably the most influential American literary critic in the 1920s, journalist and editor H.L. Mencken was known for his wit and cynicism. In 1919, he published The American Language, which became immensely popular.
© 2013 A+E Networks. All rights reserved.
Included In These Groups
Famous Virgoans 593 people in this group
Famous Literary Critics 34 people in this group
Famous Editors 55 people in this group
profile name: H.L. Mencken profile occupation:
Sign in with Facebook to see how you and your friends are connected to famous icons.