- NAME: Herman J. Mankiewicz
- OCCUPATION: Journalist, Playwright, Screenwriter
- BIRTH DATE: November 07, 1897
- DEATH DATE: March 05, 1953
- Did You Know?: Herman Mankiewicz is the older brother of noted director and screenwriter Joseph L. Mankiewicz.
- Did You Know?: Herman Mankiewicz's daughter, Johanna Mankiewicz Davis, a novelist and writer for TIME magazine, was killed by a taxi in the mid-1970s.
- EDUCATION: Harry Hillman Academy, University of Berlin, Columbia University
- PLACE OF BIRTH: New York, New York
- PLACE OF DEATH: Hollywood, California
- Full Name: Herman Jacob Mankiewicz
- AKA: Herman Mankiewicz
- AKA: Herman J. Mankiewicz
Best Known For
Herman Mankiewicz is best known for writing the Academy Award-winning screenplay for Citizen Kane (1941).
Think you know about Biography?
Answer questions and see how you rank against other players.Play Now
Despite his professional success, Herman Mankiewicz struggled with alcoholism and gambling during his lifetime. Well-known as the life of the party in Hollywood, he also gained a reputation for insulting and cursing the industry that pillared his career. Years of drinking took its toll on the screenwrite, who succumbed to uremic poisoning on March 5, 1953, in Hollywood, California.
Mankiewicz's eldest son, Don, went on to become an award-winning novelist. His youngest son, Frank,
rose to work in the esteemed position as Robert Kennedy's press secretary. His daughter was Johanna Mankiewicz Davis, a novelist and writer for TIME magazine who was tragically killed by a taxi in the mid-1970s.
© 2014 A+E Networks. All rights reserved.
profile name: Herman J. Mankiewicz profile occupation:
Sign in with Facebook to see how you and your friends are connected to famous icons.
Your Friends' Connections
Included In These Groups
Best Screenplay Oscar Winners 34 people in this group
Famous Scorpios 554 people in this group
Columbia University Alumni 119 people in this group