- NAME: George S. Kaufman
- OCCUPATION: Critic, Director, Journalist, Playwright
- BIRTH DATE: November 16, 1889
- DEATH DATE: June 02, 1961
- Did You Know?: George S. Kaufman was a member of the famed literary circle known as the Algonquin Round Table.
- EDUCATION: Western University of Pennsylvania (University of Pittsburgh), Columbia University
- PLACE OF BIRTH: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- PLACE OF DEATH: New York, New York
- Full Name: George Simon Kaufman
- AKA: George Kaufman
- AKA: George S. Kaufman
- Nickname: The Great Collaborator
Best Known For
The co-author of a number of Broadway hits, American playwright George S. Kaufman received Pulitzer Prizes for two of his productions. He was also a noted director.
Think you know about Biography?
Answer questions and see how you rank against other players.Play Now
His success gave him a large income, but the shy Kaufman was more focused on work than anything else. He did indulge in romantic liaisons, including one with Mary Astor. Following the death of his first wife, Beatrice Bakrow, Kaufman wed Leueen MacGrath, an actress who also became one of his collaborators. The two divorced in 1957.
At age 71, George S. Kaufman died of a heart attack on June 2, 1961,
in New York City. He left behind a body of work that includes 45 plays.
© 2014 A+E Networks. All rights reserved.
profile name: George S. Kaufman profile occupation:
Sign in with Facebook to see how you and your friends are connected to famous icons.
Your Friends' Connections
Included In These Groups
Famous Scorpios 554 people in this group
From the early days of film, directors have transported audiences from darkened movie theaters to memorable worlds of their own creations. Their artistic visions and technical innovations have made a lasting impression on cinema from early silent films, starring and directed by Charlie Chaplin, to the psychological thrillers of Alfred Hitchcock to the blockbuster hits of Steven Spielberg and so many more. Here is a look at the famous film directors who have made their mark on the big screen.
Famous Film Directors 242 people in this group
Columbia University Alumni 119 people in this group