- NAME: Eusébio
- OCCUPATION: Soccer Player
- BIRTH DATE: January 25, 1942
- DEATH DATE: January 05, 2014
- Did You Know?: A statue of Eusébio was created for Madame Tussauds in London after his starring performance in the 1966 World Cup.
- PLACE OF BIRTH: Lourenço Marques, Mozambique
- PLACE OF DEATH: Lisbon, Portugal
- Full Name: Eusébio da Silva Ferreira
- AKA: Eusébio
- Nickname: Pantera Negra (Black Panther)
- Nickname: Perla Negra (Black Pearl)
- Nickname: O Rei (The King)
Best Known For
One of the first African-born soccer stars, Eusébio scored a tournament-high nine goals while leading Portugal to a third-place finish in the 1966 World Cup.
Think you know about Biography?
Answer questions and see how you rank against other players.Play Now
Eusébio was hospitalized with pneumonia in December 2011 and suffered several health setbacks in the following months, but he was healthy enough to join Benfica for its trip to the 2013 UEFA Europa League final in the Netherlands.
On January 5, 2014, the soccer legend died of heart failure at his Lisbon home. He was 71 years old.
© 2014 A+E Networks. All rights reserved.
profile name: Eusébio profile occupation:
Sign in with Facebook to see how you and your friends are connected to famous icons.
Your Friends' Connections
Included In These Groups
Famous Aquarians 598 people in this group
To Americans, it is soccer. Elsewhere, it is called football, calcio or nogomet. Whatever your preference, with estimates of more than 250 million participants across 200-plus countries, it is a game of unmatched global reach and popularity. It's been noted that one doesn't need special size or skills to play, but of course the game's all-time greats displayed dazzling combinations of speed, smarts and athletic ability throughout their careers. Look through our roster of soccer legends, including Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and Diego Maradona, and you'll understand why this sport of many names is also known as "the beautiful game."
Famous Soccer Players 54 people in this group
Famous People Who Were Knighted 57 people in this group