- NAME: Eric Liddell
- OCCUPATION: Track and Field Athlete, Missionary
- BIRTH DATE: January 16, 1902
- DEATH DATE: February 21, 1945
- EDUCATION: University of Edinburgh
- PLACE OF BIRTH: Tientsin, China
- PLACE OF DEATH: Weishien, China
- Nickname: "The Flying Scotsman"
- Full Name: Eric Henry Liddell
- AKA: Eric Liddell
Best Known For
British runner Eric Lidell won a gold medal in the 1924 Olympic Games. The movie Chariots of Fire (1981) tells the story of his triumph.
Think you know about Biography?
Answer questions and see how you rank against other players.Play Now
Eric Henry Liddell was born January 16, 1902 in China, the son of Scottish missionaries. At the 1924 Olympic Games he dropped out of the 100-meter run because it was scheduled for a Sunday. However, he won the the 400 meter gold in record time. Liddell later returned to China for missionary work. He died in a Japanese camp in 1945, during WWII, in Weishien, China. The 1981 film Chariots of Fire portrays Liddell's Olympic victory.
© 2014 A+E Networks. All rights reserved.
Included In These Groups
Famous Capricorns 524 people in this group
Famous Missionaries 14 people in this group
Famous People Named Eric 10 people in this group
profile name: Eric Liddell profile occupation:
Sign in with Facebook to see how you and your friends are connected to famous icons.