- NAME: Edith Head
- OCCUPATION: Fashion Designer
- BIRTH DATE: October 28, 1897
- DEATH DATE: October 24, 1981
- Did You Know?: Edith Head won eight Academy Awards for her work during her lifetime—more than any other woman.
- Did You Know?: In 1923, Edith Head was named head designer at Paramount Studios—becoming the first woman to hold such a position at that time.
- EDUCATION: Los Angeles High School, University of California, Berkeley, Chouinard Art Institute, Stanford University, Otis Institute
- PLACE OF BIRTH: San Bernardino, California
- PLACE OF DEATH: Hollywood, California
- Originally: Edith Claire Posener
- AKA: Edith Posener
- AKA: Edith Head
Best Known For
Edith Head was one of the most prolific costume designers in 20th century film, winning a record eight Academy Awards. She's known for films such as All About Eve, Roman Holiday and The Sting.
Think you know about Biography?
Answer questions and see how you rank against other players.Play Now
She had won her eighth and last Oscar fiver years earlier, in 1973—setting the record for most Oscars won by a woman (a record she still holds today)—for her work in George Roy Hill's The Sting.
Other film credits include All About Eve (1950), Roman Holiday (1953), Rear Window (1954) and The Big Fix (1978).
The iconic designer died on October 24, 1981, at the age of 83, in Hollywood, California.
© 2014 A+E Networks. All rights reserved.
profile name: Edith Head profile occupation:
Sign in with Facebook to see how you and your friends are connected to famous icons.
Your Friends' Connections
Included In These Groups
Best Costume Design Oscar Winners 2 people in this group
Famous Scorpios 554 people in this group
Each day, we put on clothes that do more than just cover up bodies. We choose clothes that represent our personalities, our moods, the times we live in, our ambitions and our desires. Who are the people behind the designs we wear every day? These fashion designers who have made fashion a huge industry, and whose work is as controversial, and as influential, as traditional art. These are some of the designers who have dressed the world's most famous people—and are hugely famous in their own right.
Famous Fashion Designers 62 people in this group