- NAME: Constantine I
- OCCUPATION: General, Political Leader, Religious Leader, Emperor
- BIRTH DATE: c. February 27, 280
- DEATH DATE: May 22, 337
- PLACE OF BIRTH: Naissus, Moesia (now Niš, Serbia), Serbia
- PLACE OF DEATH: Near Nicomedia, Bithynia (now ?zmit, Turkey), Turkey
- AKA: Constantine the Great
- Full Name: Flavius Valerius Constantinus
- AKA: Constantine I
Best Known For
Constantine I was the first Christian Roman emperor. He ruled at the beginning of the 4th century and began the evolution of the empire into a Christian state.
Think you know about Biography?
Answer questions and see how you rank against other players.Play Now
Constantine I was born on February 27, around 280, in modern-day Serbia, to an army officer named Flavius Valerius Constantius. In 305, he was passed over in imperial succession, so Constantine fought a series of civil wars, finally becoming the sole Roman emperor. He ascribed his success to his conversion to Christianity. He renamed Byzantium Constantinople, which he made his capital. Constantine died in Ancyrona, near Nicomedia, Bithynia (now ?zmit, Turkey), on May 22, 337.
© 2013 A+E Networks. All rights reserved.
Included In These Groups
Famous Pisceans 556 people in this group
Famous Emperors 43 people in this group
Famous Military Leaders 242 people in this group
profile name: Constantine I profile occupation:
Sign in with Facebook to see how you and your friends are connected to famous icons.