- NAME: Christian Doppler
- OCCUPATION: Educator, Mathematician, Physicist
- BIRTH DATE: November 29, 1803
- DEATH DATE: March 17, 1853
- EDUCATION: Polytechnical Institute
- PLACE OF BIRTH: Salzburg, Austria
- PLACE OF DEATH: Venice, Italy
- Full Name: Christian Andreas Doppler
- AKA: Christian Johann Doppler
- AKA: Christian Doppler
- AKA: Johann Christian Doppler
Best Known For
Austrian physicist Christian Doppler first described the Doppler effect, in reference to the observed frequency of light and sound waves, in the paper "Concerning the Coloured Light of Double Stars."
Think you know about Biography?
Answer questions and see how you rank against other players.Play Now
Christian Andreas Doppler was born on November 29, 1803, in Salzburg, Austria. In 1842, Doppler published the paper "Concerning the Coloured Light of Double Stars," which contained his first statement describing the Doppler effect. He theorized that since the pitch of sound from a moving source varies for a stationary observer, the color of the light from a star should alter, according to the star's velocity relative to Earth. Christian Doppler died on March 17, 1853, in Venice, Italy.
© 2013 A+E Networks. All rights reserved.
Included In These Groups
Famous Academics 422 people in this group
Famous Teachers 208 people in this group
Famous Sagittarians 565 people in this group
profile name: Christian Doppler profile occupation:
Sign in with Facebook to see how you and your friends are connected to famous icons.