- NAME: Charles Townshend
- OCCUPATION: Political Leader
- BIRTH DATE: April 18, 1675
- DEATH DATE: June 21, 1738
- EDUCATION: University of Cambridge, King's College
- PLACE OF BIRTH: Raynham Hall, Norfolk, England, United Kingdom
- PLACE OF DEATH: Raynham Hall, Norfolk, England, United Kingdom
- Nickname: "Turnip Townshend"
- AKA: Charles Townshend
- Full Name: Charles Townshend, 2nd Viscount Townshend of Raynham
Best Known For
Charles Townshend, 2nd Viscount Townshend of Raynham, was an 18th century British secretary of state who became known as "Turnip Townshend" for his agricultural innovations.
Think you know about Biography?
Answer questions and see how you rank against other players.Play Now
Born at the Raynham Hall estate in Norfolk, England, on April 18, 1675, Charles Townshend, 2nd Viscount Townshend of Raynham, was a British Wing statesman who served as viscount and then King George I's secretary of state. He was switched to the position of Ireland's lord-lieutenant after political conflict and went on to form a separate Whig party group. He also helped establish the League of Hanover. As a farmer, Townshend became known as "Turnip Townshend." He died at Raynham Hall on June 21, 1738.
© 2013 A+E Networks. All rights reserved.
Included In These Groups
Famous Arians 535 people in this group
Famous People Named Charles 67 people in this group
Famous People Born on April 18 20 people in this group
profile name: Charles Townshend profile occupation:
Sign in with Facebook to see how you and your friends are connected to famous icons.