- NAME: Charles Ives
- OCCUPATION: Entrepreneur, Songwriter, Pianist
- BIRTH DATE: October 20, 1874
- DEATH DATE: May 19, 1954
- Did You Know?: Choreographer Joyce Trisler created a dance called "Journey," set to Charles Ives's "The Unanswered Question." The work is included in the repertory of the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater.
- EDUCATION: Yale University
- PLACE OF BIRTH: Danbury, Connecticut
- PLACE OF DEATH: New York, New York
- Full Name: Charles Edward Ives
- AKA: Charles Ives
Best Known For
Charles Ives was a Pulitzer Prize-winning composer who had a non-traditional style, as seen in works like "Central Park in the Dark" and his sonatas.
Think you know about Biography?
Answer questions and see how you rank against other players.Play Now
Nonetheless, his style was a precursor to the avant-garde productions that were to become more popular later in the century, and he found ardent supporters among composers like Gustav Mahler, Nicolas Slominsky and Bernard Herrmann. Ives was particularly well-regarded during his later years and won the 1948 Pulitzer Prize for his Symphony No. 3,
which had its premiere with the Boston Symphony Orchestra.
Ives died on May 19, 1954, in New York City.
© 2013 A+E Networks. All rights reserved.
profile name: Charles Ives profile occupation:
Sign in with Facebook to see how you and your friends are connected to famous icons.
Your Friends' Connections
Included In These Groups
Famous Libras 568 people in this group
Famous Pianists 113 people in this group
Famous Songwriters and Composers 456 people in this group