- NAME: Charles Hughes
- OCCUPATION: Lawyer, Governor, U.S. Governor
- BIRTH DATE: April 11, 1862
- DEATH DATE: August 27, 1948
- EDUCATION: Colgate University, Brown University, Columbia Law School
- PLACE OF BIRTH: Glens Falls, New York
- PLACE OF DEATH: Osterville, Massachusetts
- Full Name: Charles Evans Hughes
- AKA: Charles Hughes
Best Known For
During his career, jurist Charles Hughes became the governor of New York, U.S. secretary of state and the 11th Supreme Court justice.
Think you know about Biography?
Answer questions and see how you rank against other players.Play Now
Born on April 11, 1862, in Glen Falls, New York, Charles Hughes worked in law as a practitioner and professor before being elected New York state governor in 1906. He went on to serve as a justice for the Supreme Court before becoming secretary of state under Warren G. Harding in 1921. Hughes later became Supreme Court chief justice in 1930. He died on August 27, 1948.
© 2013 A+E Networks. All rights reserved.
Included In These Groups
Famous Arians 534 people in this group
Famous Lawyers 140 people in this group
Famous People Named Charles 66 people in this group
profile name: Charles Hughes profile occupation:
Sign in with Facebook to see how you and your friends are connected to famous icons.