- NAME: Charles Edward Merrill
- OCCUPATION: Entrepreneur
- BIRTH DATE: October 19, 1885
- DEATH DATE: October 06, 1956
- EDUCATION: Amherst College, University of Michigan Law School
- PLACE OF BIRTH: Green Cove Springs, Florida
- PLACE OF DEATH: Southhampton, New York
- Full Name: Charles Edward Merrill
- AKA: Charles Merrill
- AKA: Charles E. Merrill
Best Known For
Charles Edward Merrill was an American investment banker who co-founded Merrill Lynch & Company and arranged the merger that created the Safeway food chain.
Think you know about Biography?
Answer questions and see how you rank against other players.Play Now
Charles Edward Merrill was born on October 19, 1885, in Green Cove Springs, Florida. He worked at several New York City firms before meeting Edmund C. Lynch and co-forming Merrill Lynch & Company in 1915. Through investing, Merrill created the Safeway food chain. Privy to the stock market crash of 1929, he divested his holdings before the Great Depression. He died in 1956.
© 2014 A+E Networks. All rights reserved.
Included In These Groups
Famous Libras 571 people in this group
Famous People Named Charles 73 people in this group
Famous People Born in 1885 19 people in this group
profile name: Charles Edward Merrill profile occupation:
Sign in with Facebook to see how you and your friends are connected to famous icons.