- NAME: Charles Darwin
- OCCUPATION: Biologist
- BIRTH DATE: February 12, 1809
- DEATH DATE: April 19, 1882
- Did You Know?: Although Charles Darwin originally went to college to be a physician, he changed career paths when he realized that he couldn't stomach the sight of blood.
- Did You Know?: Charles Darwin had a mountain named after him, Mount Darwin, in Tierra del Fuego for his 25th birthday. The monumental gift was given by Captain FitzRoy.
- EDUCATION: University of Edinburgh, Cambridge
- PLACE OF BIRTH: Shrewsbury, England
- PLACE OF DEATH: Downe, England
- Full Name: Charles Robert Darwin
Best Known For
Charles Darwin is best known for his work as a naturalist, developing a theory of evolution to explain biological change.
Charles Darwin dreamed of traveling the world and an opportunity presented itself with Captain Fitzroy and the HMS Beagle.
At age 50 Darwin revealed the theory of evolution in the Origin of Species.
Charles Darwin found himself in a dilemma knowing that Emma, his wife and devout Christian, would have difficulty accepting his evolutionary views.
Charles Darwin's books finally begin to gain acceptance in the public and intellectual communities helping Darwin overcome his mental anguish.
Think you know about Biography?
Answer questions and see how you rank against other players.Play Now
He came to believe that species survived through a process called "natural selection," where species that successfully adapted to meet the changing requirements of their natural habitat thrived, while those that failed to evolve and reproduce died off.
In 1858, after years of further scientific investigation, Darwin publically introduced his revolutionary theory of evolution in a letter read at a meeting of the Linnean Society. On November 24, 1859,
he published a detailed explanation of his theory in his best-known work, On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection.
Following a lifetime of devout research, Charles Darwin died at his family home, Down House, in London, on April 19, 1882, and was buried at Westminster Abbey. During the next century, DNA studies revealed evidence of his theory of evolution, although controversy surrounding its conflict with Creationism—the religious view that all of nature was born of God—still abounds today.
© 2013 A+E Networks. All rights reserved.
profile name: Charles Darwin profile occupation:
Sign in with Facebook to see how you and your friends are connected to famous icons.
Your Friends' Connections
Included In These Groups
Famous Aquarians 592 people in this group
Famous Biologists 39 people in this group
Famous People Named Charles 73 people in this group