- NAME: Bear Bryant
- OCCUPATION: Coach
- BIRTH DATE: September 11, 1913
- DEATH DATE: January 26, 1983
- Did You Know?: Bear Bryant received 1 1/2 votes for the Democratic presidential nomination at the party's 1968 national convention in Chicago.
- Did You Know?: Bear Bryant died one month after coaching his final game, on January 26, 1983.
- EDUCATION: University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa
- PLACE OF BIRTH: Moro Bottom, Arkansas
- PLACE OF DEATH: Tuscaloosa, Alabama
- Full Name: Paul William Bryant
- Nickname: Bear
- AKA: Paul Bryant
Best Known For
American college football coach Bear Bryant won six national championships at the University of Alabama and retired with a record 323 wins (since surpassed).
Think you know about Biography?
Answer questions and see how you rank against other players.Play Now
Along with his record-tying six national titles, he won 15 conference championships and was named the College Football Coach of the Year three times.
Less than one month after his final game, Bryant died of a heart attack at Tuscaloosa's Druid City Hospital on January 26, 1983. The following month, President Ronald Regan posthumously awarded him the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
In 1986, Bryant was elected to the College Football Hall of Fame, and the College Football Coach of the Year Award was renamed in his honor. He was named the coach of the Sports Illustrated all-century college football team in 1999, and to many he remains the ultimate symbol of coaching excellence at the collegiate level.
© 2014 A+E Networks. All rights reserved.
profile name: Bear Bryant profile occupation:
Sign in with Facebook to see how you and your friends are connected to famous icons.
Your Friends' Connections
Included In These Groups
People with Animal Names 36 people in this group
Famous Virgoans 598 people in this group
Famous Coaches 50 people in this group