- NAME: André Breton
- OCCUPATION: Philosopher, Artist, Literary Critic, Editor, Publisher, Journalist, Author, Poet
- BIRTH DATE: February 18, 1896
- DEATH DATE: September 28, 1966
- Did You Know?: French writer and critic André Breton is considered the founder of Surrealism.
- PLACE OF BIRTH: Tinchebray, France
- PLACE OF DEATH: Paris, France
Best Known For
French writer and poet André Breton is best known as one of the founders of the Surrealist movement in literature and art.
Think you know about Biography?
Answer questions and see how you rank against other players.Play Now
Breton emigrated from France in 1941 in order to escape World War II. He lived in New York City for several years, and in 1942, he organized a groundbreaking exhibition of Surrealist art at Yale University. After his return to Paris in 1946, Breton published more poetry collections and essays on Surrealism.
Breton married three times, to Simone Kahn, Jacqueline Lamba (with whom he had a daughter named Aube) and Elisa Claro. In his later years,
he divided his time between a country house in southwest France and an apartment in Paris. He died in Paris on September 28, 1966.
© 2014 A+E Networks. All rights reserved.
profile name: André Breton profile occupation:
Sign in with Facebook to see how you and your friends are connected to famous icons.
Your Friends' Connections
Included In These Groups
Famous Academics 451 people in this group
Famous Aquarians 598 people in this group
Famous Philosophers 78 people in this group