- NAME: Alistair Cooke
- OCCUPATION: Scholar, Critic, Radio Personality, Television Personality, Journalist
- BIRTH DATE: November 20, 1908
- DEATH DATE: March 30, 2004
- EDUCATION: University of Cambridge, Yale, Harvard
- PLACE OF BIRTH: Salford, United Kingdom
- PLACE OF DEATH: New York, New York
- Full Name: Alfred Alistair Cooke
Best Known For
Alistair Cooke was a British-born journalist who worked in newspaper, radio and television. He hosted television's Masterpiece Theatre.
Think you know about Biography?
Answer questions and see how you rank against other players.Play Now
From the 1930s, Alistair Cooke interpreted American culture for British audiences in newspapers and radio broadcasts. His weekly program Letter from America was one of the radio's longest-running series and he hosted television's Masterpiece Theatre from the 1970s to the 1990s. He died in 2004. In a bizarre coda to his life, Cooke's remains were illegally harvested at a New York funeral home.
© 2013 A+E Networks. All rights reserved.
Included In These Groups
Famous Academics 422 people in this group
Famous Scorpios 503 people in this group
Famous Scholars 63 people in this group
profile name: Alistair Cooke profile occupation:
Sign in with Facebook to see how you and your friends are connected to famous icons.