- NAME: A.E. Housman
- OCCUPATION: Scholar, Poet
- BIRTH DATE: March 26, 1859
- DEATH DATE: April 30, 1936
- EDUCATION: King Edward's School, Bromsgrove School, St. John's College
- PLACE OF BIRTH: Fockbury, Worcestershire, England, United Kingdom
- PLACE OF DEATH: Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
- Full Name: Alfred Edward Housman
- AKA: Alfred Housman
- AKA: A.E. Housman
Best Known For
A.E. Housman was an English scholar and poet whose poems were based on classical models and expressed a Romantic pessimism in a spare, simple style. He published two volumes of poetry: A Shropshire Lad and Last Poems.
Think you know about Biography?
Answer questions and see how you rank against other players.Play Now
Famed scholar and poet A.E. Housman was born on March 26, 1859, in Fockbury, Worcestershire, England. His major scholarly effort was an annotated edition of Marcus Manilius. Housman's first poetry volume, A Shropshire Lad, was based on classical and traditional models; its lyrics express a Romantic pessimism in a spare, simple style, and it gradually grew popular. His second and last volume of poetry, Last Poems, published in 1922, was extremely successful.
© 2013 A+E Networks. All rights reserved.
Included In These Groups
Famous Academics 423 people in this group
Famous Arians 536 people in this group
Famous Scholars 63 people in this group
profile name: A.E. Housman profile occupation:
Sign in with Facebook to see how you and your friends are connected to famous icons.