Seinfeld premiered on July 5, 1989 and gave us almost a decade of laughs, ending its run on May 14, 1998. The New York City-centric show introduced us to comedian Jerry Seinfeld (who played a fictitious version of himself), Jason Alexander (George Costanza), Julia Louis-Dreyfus (Elaine Benes) and Michael Richards (Cosmo Kramer) as friends who knew how to talk and argue passionately about nothing consequential.
The show "about nothing" dominated the ratings during its run and can still be watched countless times in syndication. Even after all these years, it remains one of the most popular shows of all time.
To celebrate its silver anniversary, here are 25 of our favorite “Seinfeldisms”:
1. "Not that there's anything wrong with that."
2. "These pretzels are making me thirsty."
4. "No soup for you!"
5. "Shrinkage": what happens when a man goes swimming in cold water.
6. "In the Vault": where secrets are kept.
7. "Man hands": term used to describe a woman with very large hands.
8. "Festivus": George’s father, Frank Costanza, created the holiday out of disgust for the commercialism of the holiday season. Festivus for the rest of us!
9. "Coup de’-toe": Power struggle between the big toe (also known as "the captain" of the toes) and the second toe.
10. "Anti-Dentite": one who discriminates against dentists.
11. "Spare a square": an act of courtesy in the ladies room when one stall doesn't have any toilet paper left and the person using it asks the woman in the next stall to share some.
12. "Manssiere" : (also called "the bro") a bra for men.
13: "Shiksappeal": attractiveness of a non-Jewish woman.
14: "Master of your domain": euphemism for masturbation.
15. "Yada yada yada": used to skip over (key) details.
16. "Double-Dipper": one who re-dips a chip into a bowl of dip after taking a bite.
17. "Serenity now, insanity later."
18. "Stopping Short": the method by which one cops a feel of a female passenger’s breast by slamming on the breaks and extending one's arm out to “protect” the passenger.
19. "Mimbo": from the word "bimbo," an attractive but unintelligent man.
20. "Pre-emptive breakup:" the act of breaking up with someone before they dump you.
21. "Sidler": someone who silently (and creepily) appears besides or behind you.
22. "Re-gifter": someone who gives a gift they were given to someone else.
23. "Worlds Theory": "A George divided amongst itself cannot stand!" The theory in which Relationship George and Independent (friend) George cannot coexist.
24. "Schmoopie": overly sugary term of endearment.
25. "Ribbon bully": someone who forces one to wear an AIDS ribbon.